You need to have a sales tax permit to get a resale certificate. You can learn how to register for a sales tax permit in every state here.
If you have a sales tax permit for a state we are registered in, you can create and submit your resale certificate under the billing section of your dashboard.
When creating your resale certificate, you can choose categories of products you wish to become exempt from. We will not charge sales tax on products in the categories you chose but will continue to charge you sales tax on products in categories you don't choose.
Note: Some states require you to present your seller's permit with your resale certificate so we can verify it. In these cases, you will need to scan both documents at the same time. This affects submissions for:
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
Before you submit your resale certificate, please check:
- If you used the correct resale certificate form. Most states use a multistate form that can be used for more than one state, but some states have their own state-specific form. When you submit your certificate in the Printful Dashboard, once you select a state, a resale certificate form will appear. You can download it and fill it out.
- If the resale certificate form is filled out electronically. It can’t be handwritten. The only handwritten element that’s allowed is your signature. If you use a digital signature, there has to be a timestamp.
- If you added the correct Printful legal information. If you go to the Printful Dashboard > Billing > Resale certificate > Add certificate, where you can download the resale certificate submission form, you’ll see our legal information mentioned on this page. Copy and add it to your resale certificate submission form. You can also see our legal information on our Policies > Legal imprint page.
- If you added your legal information to the Printful Dashboard. To do so, go to Dashboard > Billing > Legal info. We can’t approve your resale certificate until you’ve added your legal information.
- If the information in your resale certificate is the same as in your seller permit and in the Legal info section of your Dashboard. The legal name you add to the Printful Dashboard must match the name on the seller permit and on the submitted resale certificate.
- If the ID number you provide is the same as the seller permit ID on your resale certificate. When you’re submitting your resale certificate, you’ll have to submit your seller permit ID number. Make sure that the ID number you submit is the same as the seller permit ID that’s mentioned in your resale certificate.
- If your seller permit is active and valid. We’ll check your seller permit ID on the verification websites and if no confirmation of verification is available, we’ll ask you to submit a copy of your seller permit.
Please note that your resale certificate needs to be submitted to Printful and approved before an order is placed. Only then we won’t charge you sales tax. We don’t refund sales tax for orders that have been placed before the resale certificate was submitted.
Once you submit your completed resale certificate, we need to review it, which takes about 2 business days. Once it has been reviewed, we send an email confirmation stating if it has been approved or rejected.
If it's approved, you won’t be charged sales tax on orders shipping to that state. However, you will be responsible for all taxes on your end. If it's denied, we'll let you know why so you can fix it and resubmit it.
If you have a different tax-exemption certificate, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find information about tax-exemption certificates here.